Liverpool City Council and the Mersey Docks and Harbour
Board were approached for financial assistance, without success.
The railway was unable to continue without the essential repairs
and after 63 years in operation, the Railway was closed down
on 30th December 1956.
Several rescue attempts and public protests followed, but
on 23 September 1957, dismantlers moved in. By January 1959
the Liverpool Overhead Railway had disappeared forever and
with it another Liverpool institution was lost forever.
The only traces of the railway that remain today are the
original metal supporting columns built into the dock wall
behind Wapping Dock. Cleaned for the Garden Festival in 1984,
the tunnel entrance to the Dingle is the most impressive sight
of what now remains only a distant memory for those privileged
enought to have travelled on the 'Ovie'.